At a recent meeting of the Rocky View Schools (RVS) Board of Trustees, 32 teachers and other staff in the division were recognized for demonstrating leadership in learning for obtaining post-secondary degrees or professional certificates, or for being nominated for the Alberta School Board Association's Edwin Parr Award.
The Board extended its congratulations to the group who they said upheld the principle that building capacity increases the collective efficacy of a group to improve student learning.
RVS believes that all staff have a responsibility to engage in lifelong learning, and the staff recognized proved they are fully invested in that concept.
Twelve of the staff who achieved degrees or certificates came from schools in Airdrie while two others were nominees for the Edwin Parr award.
- Marie Adjel - Learning Assistant - R.J. Hawkey Elementary School: Registered Behavioural Technician Certificate - Verbal Behavioural Institute
- Laurie Allen - Childhood Development Advisor - R.J. Hawkey Elementary School: Certificate in Addiction Studies - Mount Royal University
- Jennifer Brousseau Innes - Teacher - Ecole Edwards Elementary School: Master of Education: Interdisciplinary Pathway - University of Calgary
- Elisha Danielson - Teacher - Ecole Edwards Elementary School: Master of Education - University of Calgary
- Denise Deere - Learning Assistant - Ecole Edwards Elementary School: Graduated EA Course - Ashworth PCDI College
- Alessandra Enns - Counselor - Ecole Airdrie Middle School: Master of Counselling Psychology - Yorkville University
- Karen Shepherd - Learning Support Teacher - C.W. Perry School: Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Inclusive Education - Athabasca University
- Denise Weaver - Assistant Principal - Meadowbrook School: Master of Education - University of Calgary
- Victoria Minion - Teacher/Learning Leader - Bert Church High School: Master of Mathematics - University of Waterloo
- Carlin Olynyk - Positive Behaviour Strategist - C.W. Perry School: Master of Counselling Psychology - University of Seattle (Calgary Campus)
- Colleen Peterson - Learning Assistant - R.J. Hawkey Elementary School: Registered Behavioural Technician Certificate - Verbal Behaviour Institute
- Ruth Rochford - Learning Assistant - R.J. Hawkey Elementary School: Registered Behavioural Technician Certificate - Verbal Behaviour Institute
Each year. the Alberta School Board Association's Edwin Parr Award recognizes exceptional first-year teachers. The winner for RVS and Zone Five representative is Charnelle Fulcher, a teacher at East Lake School in Chestermere.
Two Airdrie first-year teachers were also among the four RVS nominees for the award. Laura McCaffrey is teaching at A.E. Bowers Elementary while Erin Quiring is a grade four teacher at Nose Creek Elementary School.
In recognizing these staff, RVS says they are all bringing about transformational change to create a more innovative learning organization for all.
Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org