On Saturday, November 11, communities across the country will be commemorating Remembrance Day. While Airdrie's November 11 celebration will be held at Genesis Place and is hosted by the Royal Canadian Legion #288 Airdrie chapter, other Rocky View communities are also holding their own services.
There are several events across Calgary in commemoration of November 11, including:
- Calgary's Field of Crosses: Over 3,500 white crosses are on display on Calgary's Memorial Drive until November 12.
- Each cross has the name, rank, regiment, and age and date of death of a Southern Alberta soldier who was killed in action.
- On November 10, lanterns will be placed in front of the crosses and will continue to burn until sunrise on Remembrance Day.
- A Remembrance Day ceremony will held at 10 a.m. on November 11
- Hangar Flight Museum: The Hangar Flight Museum in Calgary will also hold a Remembrance Day Ceremony from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Admission through donations to the Veterans Association Food Bank is encouraged and accepted.
- Military Museum: Calgary's Military Museum is also hosting a November 11 ceremony from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. After the official ceremony, the public will be able to lay a wreath at the Eternal Flame monument.
- Remembrance Day Service at the Crossfield Community Center will start at 10:30 a.m.
- Carstairs Legion #53 Remembrance Day Service will begin at 10 a.m. and run till 12:30 p.m. at the Hugh Sutherland School - Gymnasium
- Remembrance Day ceremony taking place at Zion Church in Didsbury, with doors opening at 10 a.m.
In response to Canada's Online News Act and Meta (Facebook and Instagram) removing access to local news from their platforms, DiscoverAirdrie encourages you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the DiscoverAirdrie app. You can scan the QR code to download it.