With the snow finally stopping and the temperatures soon going to warm up, the Alberta Motor Association (AMA) has a clear picture of how the snowstorm affected call volumes on Monday and Tuesday.
According to AMA, they saw a huge increase and are still currently seeing six times more than the normal call volume for towing and winching services for the Calgary area, including Airdrie.
Airdrie's region is also seeing three times more than the normal call volume for light services, such as battery boosts.
"We received more than 2,600 calls on Monday (October 23) and more than 2,200 calls on Tuesday (October 24)," stated AMA. Those numbers are from across the province.
Alberta RCMP also shared some numbers for the amount of collisions they responded to on Monday. They responded to over 277 collisions in relation to the poor weather conditions.
The RCMP also provided a list of items that should be kept in your vehicle during the winter months:
- Get your vehicle ready for winter in the fall
- Pack an emergency kit
- Learn and practice winter driving techniques
- Check your route and see what the conditions are like.
- Remove all snow from your vehicle before each trip
- Give yourself extra travel time in bad weather
- Travel with a fully charged cell phone for emergency situations
- Slow down and wear your seatbelt
In response to Canada's Online News Act and Meta (Facebook and Instagram) removing access to local news from their platforms, DiscoverAirdrie encourages you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the DiscoverAirdrie app. You can scan the QR code to download it.