The Bert Church Chargers football team has announced that five players from the team's 2022 roaster will be signing with the Canadian Junior Football League today.
"National Signing Day is celebrated across Canada on June 1, with players signing agreements to play with teams to kick off their post-high school football careers. The Chargers carried 20 seniors this past season, with one-quarter of them now going on to play at the next level," stated a press release from the high school.
The players include:
- Ashton Jackson, offensive line, signing with Vancouver Island Raiders (Nanaimo, B.C.)
- Kadin MacFadzen, offensive line, signing with Vancouver Island Raiders (Nanaimo, B.C.)
- Ty Ochitwa, defensive end, signing with Westshore Rebels (Victoria, B.C.)
- Aedan Thompson, defensive end, signing with Vancouver Island Raiders (Nanaimo, B.C.)
- Charlie Wiersma, wide receiver, team to be named later
“To have five Chargers players carry on to the next level is a major achievement for both our city and our school community,” said Steve Larsen, Chargers coach. “These student-athletes lost their Grade 10 season to the pandemic yet continued on, training and putting in the work to be able to be noticed by the CJFL. All five of these players are leaders on and off the field, and we look forward to watching them excel with their junior teams.
“As Chargers, we have focused on building character and embracing our athletes as a football family, and that will serve them well as they move on to the next level.”
Training camp for the players begins in mid-July.
Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to email@example.com