The City of Airdrie has released more details following a carbon monoxide exposure in a townhouse complex in Cooper's Crossing that occurred on Tuesday morning. 

According to city officials, one person was transported to the hospital, while another was assessed by paramedics on the scene.

Airdrie's Fire Department responded to a call of a person in medical distress at 7:22 a.m. on Tuesday, October 31 at 100 Coopers Common SW. According to officials, the cause of carbon monoxide was determined to be a vehicle left idling inside the attached garage.

"[The] Fire department arrived on the scene of a two-story townhouse complex consisting of four individual residences. Firefighters entered one of the mid units and found an unconscious patient on the living room floor with another person at their side," a city press release stated.

It was determined carbon monoxide may be involved and both patients were removed safely outside to fresh air.

"Once outside, patient care was transferred to [Alberta Health Services] AHS Paramedics on scene. Air monitoring confirmed elevated readings of carbon monoxide (CO) on all levels of the home and in the attached garage."

Readings ranged from 220 -1960 ppm (exposure to 12,800 ppm may cause death within 1-3 minutes).

As a precaution, the three other units in the complex had air quality monitored and were deemed safe.

Four pieces of fire apparatus and firefighters were on the scene.

Airdrie's Fire Department issued several safety tips for residents including:

  • Properly equip your home with carbon monoxide detectors on every level and outside sleeping areas.* The only safe way to detect CO in your home is with a CO alarm
  • Annually have your heating system, vents, chimney, and flue inspected by a qualified technician
  • Install and operate appliances according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Never use a gas range or stove to heat your home
  • Remove vehicles from the garage immediately after starting it  
  • Initiate your Family Escape Plan whenever smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors are activated
  • Family members and their pets should muster at their pre-determined meeting place
  • Call 9-1-1 for assistance from a safe phone location
  • Never go back into a residence once you have safely made your way outside

The incident was originally shared by the City's Fire Chief, Mike Pirie, through social media. In his post, he reminded residents of the importance of checking carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke alarms in the home.

"Please -  as you change your smoke alarm batteries or check your hardwired alarms consider the importance of having a working CO alarm in your home. Vehicles in the garage, furnaces, chimneys, hot water tanks, and gas stoves /dryers are all sources of CO that can affect our homes or businesses. Take the opportunity today to look at the alarms in your home. They are readily available and reliable ways to alert you to danger," Chief Pirie previously posted.

Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to You can also message and follow us on Twitter: @AIR1061FM

In response to Canada's Online News Act and Meta (Facebook and Instagram) removing access to local news from their platforms, DiscoverAirdrie encourages you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the DiscoverAirdrie app. You can scan the QR code to download it.