A social media post by the City's Fire Chief, Mike Pirie, is underlining the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning and why it is imperative to check carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke alarms in the home.

According to the Fire Chief's Facebook post, at 7:22 a.m., on Tuesday morning, fire crews were called to a report of an adult female found unconscious in her home.

"When crews arrived they found dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (CO) which overcame both the occupant and her dog. This was a townhome complex and there were a total of five units that contained high levels of CO. She was immediately removed for EMS to provide treatment and was unconscious at the time," the post read in part.


Fire Chief Pirie added that while the fire department does not yet know the exact cause of the event, they do know that there was no carbon monoxide detector active.

"Please -  as you change your smoke alarm batteries or check your hardwired alarms consider the importance of having a working CO alarm in your home. Vehicles in the garage, furnaces, chimneys, hot water tanks, and gas stoves /dryers are all sources of CO that can affect our homes or businesses. Take the opportunity today to look at the alarms in your home. They are readily available and reliable ways to alert you to danger."

The warning comes only days before Canadians will be turning back their clocks over the weekend - a time in which the Fire Department urges residents to ensure smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order.

Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to news@discoverairdrie.com. You can also message and follow us on Twitter: @AIR1061FM

In response to Canada's Online News Act and Meta (Facebook and Instagram) removing access to local news from their platforms, DiscoverAirdrie encourages you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the DiscoverAirdrie app. You can scan the QR code to download it.