As a result of further investigations by the Southern Alberta District General Investigation Section (GIS), more charges have been laid against 27-year-old Austin Desylva of Canmore.
The charges stem from an officer-involved shooting that took place in Canmore on February 24 when a Banff RCMP officer pursued the suspect during a traffic stop and was shot at. The officer fired back and Desylva suffered a gunshot injury and was airlifted to the hospital.
Desylva now faces the following additional charges:
- Attempted murder with a firearm
- Discharging firearm with intent
- Discharging firearm – recklessness (x3)
- Prohibited or restricted firearm: with ammunition
- Possession of weapon obtained by crime
- Firearm or weapon: possession contrary to prohibition order
- Flight from a peace officer
- Dangerous operation
- Assaulting peace officer with a weapon
- Resisting or obstructing a peace officer
- Failing to comply with release order (x2)
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking
Desylva remains in custody and will appear in Canmore Provincial Court on March 29, 2023.