On Thursday morning, May 11 at approximately 8:30 a.m., Airdrie fire crews responded to reports of a structure fire involving a two-story residential home in the Baysprings Link area.

According to the city, when crews arrived on the scene, light grey smoke was visible on the main level of the residence, and although smoke alarms had been activated, a lone resident remained in the residence attempting to extinguish the blaze with water.

Deputy Chief of the Airdrie Fire Department, Garth Rabel underlined that while in the spur of the moment, an individual may feel the need to stay behind, trying to put out a fire on their own's one is unsafe.

"We promote safe escape when the alarms go off; phone 9-1-1 from a safe location, and allow the fire service to come in and do the job that they have to do," Deputy Chief Rabel added.

The city said that the fire was found burning in the area of an overhead microwave oven, but was quickly extinguished by first in the crew.

Firefighters escorted the resident safely outside and transferred their care to AHS Paramedics on the scene.

"Firefighters used a Thermal Imaging Camera (TIC) to check for possible fire extension and ventilation efforts were initiated to remove smoke from the area prior to air quality monitoring being completed."

The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined that the fire was due to a faulty electrical microwave appliance and the damage has been estimated at $10,000 to the contents and structure.

Four pieces of fire apparatus and 13 firefighters were on the scene.

The Airdrie Fire Department is reminding residents of the importance of a Family Escape Plan whenever smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors have been activated (Family Escape Plan).

"Family members and their pets should muster at their pre-determined meeting place. Call 9-1-1 for assistance from a safe phone location."

Deputy Chief Rabel also said that when it comes to the family's four-legged companions, the city's Fire Department offers pet stickers.

"You can get them through fire prevention and public education fire prevention bureau. These stickers go on the windows or doors of homes and allow fire crews to understand that there are pets in the house. When our firefighters are in [a building], we're going to do what we need to do in order to mitigate the fire, but at the same time, it raises awareness for our firefighters, that there may be pets in the house as well."

The department underlined that one should never go back into a residence once you have safely made your way outside.

Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to news@discoverairdrie.com