What started out as a scary experience turned out to be something a little boy will remember for a long time.

During the morning hours of Tuesday, Rebecca Butts was cleaning up after her kids and putting dishes in the dishwasher to be cleaned. When she finished, she went to sit on the couch but was shocked when she noticed her house filling up with smoke.

"I went into the kitchen and there was flames coming out of the dishwasher. So, I grabbed my kids and ran outside. The kids and I didn't even have any shoes on but I called 911 right away." 

 Recently moving to Airdrie only a few years ago, Butts was impressed with how fast the firefighters got to her house.

"They got here in like three minutes flat. It was phenomenal how fast they arrived." 

While trying to stay calm for her three-year-old son and one-year-old daughter, Butts was comforted by a local firefighter (unfortunately she did not get his name). 

"He came outside when I was outside with the kids and kept telling me it's okay, and I'm doing a good job and everything's okay. I was shaking and almost crying and he was so great, especially with the kids."

Once things were wrapping up, the firefighter showed her kids all the different tools that they use.

"He was so understanding and reassuring. This was our first major experience with the fire department and they went above and beyond and it was absolutely phenomenal."

According to Butts, her son was excited to see the fire trucks when they arrived. Both kids even received a fire hat with the fire department's logo.

AirdriePhoto of what started on fire in the dishwasher.

Luckily there was no damage to the house, just the dishwasher.

"It was the electrical board in the door shorted out I guess and fried everything in there and caused the fire."

Butts finished off by once again thanking the Airdrie Fire Department for how they turned a scary situation into a more so enjoyable situation for her kids.

"I'm just so grateful that we have such a great department here in Airdrie, they're outstanding."

Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to news@discoverairdrie.com. You can also message and follow us on Twitter: @AIR1061FM

DiscoverAirdrie encourages you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the DiscoverAirdrie app. For breaking news, weather and contest alerts click here.