With Christmas just around the corner, if you haven't already decorated for the holidays, it's probably coming up on your to-do list. 

For those who like to have a real Christmas tree, You'll need a specific permit from the Alberta government to get your very own hand-picked tree.

You can apply for a Personal Use Forest Products Permit (PUFPP) to harvest trees on provincial Crown land within Alberta’s forest areas. 

Obtaining a PUFPP, allows you to chop down up to three Christmas trees that are less than 2.5 meters, or approximately 8 feet, tall, can be done online or in person at a forest area office.

To be eligible for a permit, these are the requirements that must be met:

  • In good standing with the Crown relating to timber, grazing, and land use.
  • A resident of Alberta.
  • At least 18 years of age.

The permit is valid for 30 days and is free.

mapPhoto of the forest area map in Alberta.

The list of places you can cut down your Christmas tree is provided by the Alberta government. Some of the locations include the Calgary area, the Rocky Mountain House area and the Edmonton area. To see a full list, click HERE.

You are not allowed to cut down trees in provincial parks (except for designated provincial park areas) or provincial recreation areas and national parks. You are also not allowed to cut down trees outside of forest areas without authorization.

Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to news@discoverairdrie.com. You can also message and follow us on Twitter: @AIR1061FM

In response to Canada's Online News Act and Meta (Facebook and Instagram) removing access to local news from their platforms, DiscoverAirdrie encourages you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the DiscoverAirdrie app. You can scan the QR code to download it.