Last night (February 11), members of the community gathered at Nose Creek Park for a candlelight vigil to remember 12-year-old Trai Schlichter, who passed away last week after a tragic carbon monoxide incident at the Crown Shore Condominiums on 700 Willowbrook Road.
Mourners dressed in Trai's favourite colours of orange, lime green, black and white, and held candles with a picture of Trai
Organizers Niki Brandsma and Heather Morigeau opened the vigil with words of condolence for Trai's family.
"We hope that this candlelight vigil will be a moment to draw the community together in a positive way so that we can show support for the family, and moving forward we aim to make changes to protect those that are our most valuable treasure," said Brandsma.
After an opening prayer, the community was invited to share thoughts and memories of Trai. A representative of the Airdrie Air Cadets made a presentation to Trai's family, and Councillor Darrell Belyk extended sympathies on behalf of the City, adding that he hoped future tragedies could be avoided.
"Hopefully the government will take an honest look at carbon monoxide and make it mandatory in Alberta for that," said Belyk.
Brandsma also encouraged those in attendance to sign a petition to make carbon monoxide detectors mandatory in Alberta.
"Our children deserve to never have to face the situation that Trai and the tenants of 700 Willowbrook Road have faced. We believe that if carbon monoxide detectors had been required to be installed in the rental properties and homes in Alberta, this tragedy could have been prevented."
The vigil concluded with a reading of Mary Frye's poem "Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep" as mourners placed their candles in front of Trai's picture, spelling out his name.
Questions, comments or story ideas? Email us at [email protected]