The Airdrie Fire Department is providing more details about an incident over the weekend involving a ruptured gas line.
The incident occurred in the 100 block of Baysprings Garden SW on Saturday April 6th.
When fire crews arrived on scene they quickly determined that a private contractor, who had been excavating in the area, struck and damaged a 2-inch natural gas line.
Part of the area was immediately cordoned off and four homes adjacent to the incident had to be evacuated.
Officials say it took around six hours for crews from ATCO to repair the broken gas line and allow displaced residents to return to their homes.
Firefighters say protecting vital utility services is everyone’s responsibility. Whether you’re a homeowner or a contractor, responsible digging means requesting locates before each job, understanding the locate(s) markings and digging safely near them.
Officials remind residents and contractors to always “Call before you dig” to have utilities located and marked by contacting Alberta One-Call at 1.800.242.3447 or e-mail them at [email protected]
Comments? Questions? Story ideas? Email us at [email protected]