The severe thunderstorm watch has ended.
Earlier in the afternoon, there were conditions that were favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that could have been capable of producing heavy rain, strong wind gusts and large hail.
Thunderstorms were forecast to develop along the foothills this afternoon and then move northeastward. The risk of severe weather was expected to persist into the evening hours. The following areas were under the watch:
- Mountain View Co. near Carstairs and Stirlingville
- Mountain View Co. near Cremona and Water Valley
- Mountain View Co. near Olds and Didsbury
- Mountain View Co. near Sundre
- Rocky View Co. near Airdrie and Crossfield
- Rocky View Co. near Bottrel and Madden
- Rocky View Co. near Cochrane
Large hail can damage property and cause injury. Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles. Severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes.
Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org