Although it might seem not as nice right now, spring is right around the corner. Bikes, scooters and skateboards will be roaming around Airdrie in no time.
City of Airdrie Municipal Enforcement, Peace Officer, Dan Luft was out in the community recently, teaching bike safety to preschool classes at Genesis Place to make sure they understand how to be safe while enjoying their bikes.
Here are some tips the city is providing to be safe while using bikes, scooters and skateboards.
Be prepared for the unexpected and make sure to be on the lookout for pedestrians, poor road conditions, and bad weather and protect your head. In Alberta, anyone younger than 18 years old must wear a helmet.
Here are some tips for protecting your head properly with a bike helmet according to the city:
- Always wear a helmet that is right for the activity.
- Wear your helmet properly (it should be level and stable).
- Visit here for more detailed tips on how to properly fit and wear a bike helmet.
- Make sure your helmet fits (it should be snug).
When Using a bike, you want to make sure that:
- It's the right size for the person riding it.
- Has a working bell.
- The brakes are working properly.
- Properly working before each ride.
- Tires have enough air.
- Fitted with reflectors, reflective tape or lights for visibility at night.
Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org