Alberta’s Chief Firearms Officer, Teri Bryant, has sent a letter to the Federal Minister of Public Safety regarding the ban of over 1,500 types of firearms.
The 'Assault Style' Firearms Ban was brought forth by the Federal Government in May of 2020 and recently extended to October of 2023.
“It is alarming that no evidence has been adduced to justify the arbitrary selection of the firearms on the list. Prohibiting specific types of firearms is an approach that has proven ineffective in improving public safety. It is time to focus on what does work, the diligent pursuit and prosecution of criminals and those putting firearms into their hands,” said Bryant in her letter.
Bryant believes the Canadian Firearms Program already ensures that firearm owners are responsible. However, she remains concerned about how criminals are getting their firearms and would like to see the Federal Government address it with an improved approach.
Bryant is also concerned about the process of seizing outlawed firearms. She suggests that some of the guns in question are historical artifacts or may have sentimental value to some lawful owners.
“Requiring mandatory confiscation or deactivation represents an unacceptable intrusion into the personal lives of Albertans and other Canadians and a serious infringement on their property rights.” says Bryant, “Owners of the affected firearms acquired them in full conformity with the law at the time. They have not done anything wrong, yet they are to be forcibly deprived of their property or forced to effectively render it useless through compulsory deactivation.”
She suggests other measures could be used if the goal of the ban is to ensure public safety.
“Such alternative measures would include better identification, tracking and prosecution of firearms traffickers, providing effective deterrence to those who misuse firearms, offering alternatives to the destructive gang lifestyle, and addressing the drug addiction that is destroying so many young lives.”
In a written Statement to DiscoverAirdrie, Airdrie Cochrane MLA Peter Guthrie says “the gun grab by this power-hungry government is yet another attack on the individual freedoms of Canadians.”
In the same statement, Guthrie says “We require politicians and government representatives to be focused on the needs of the province. Alberta’s Chief Firearms Officer’s letter to Ottawa sets the stage for what is to come in defense of Albertans. There is a clear shift in approach and it is a far cry from the previously appointed federal officer who’s dedication was to serving Ottawa.”
Bryant calls on the Federal Government to cancel the order prohibitions of May 1, 2020.
You can read the full letter here.
Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org